The Most Important Year of My Life
As I write this, your social media accounts are likely flooded with memes talking about how horrible 2016 was because Prince and Bowie and Princess Leia (and Leia’s mom) all died and everyone’s Christmas was ruined, and oh yeah, Trump won too.
2016 was an intense year, for a variety of reasons. Perhaps the most significant of which is that I believe it’s the year that our attention reached full saturation (more on that below) causing every smallish piece of news to feel like it’s both world-ending and totally-not-a-big-deal-and-maybe-not-even-true, all at the same time. We now live in a post-truth world, and I think we’ll look back at 2016 as the year in which that began. The seeming omnipresence of celebrity deaths is merely a side effect of that.
But I don’t want to talk about politics here. I want to speak more personally. Because, personally, 2016 was likely the most pivotal year of my life.
My plan with this post is to simply go over all of the major themes of the year for me, and reflect on them a bit, see what I’ve learned and what can be gleaned going forward. Unlike most of my articles, this …
Hey, sorry to interrupt…
I know you were reading that and getting all into it, but I’ve got to stop you here for a second. Because you seem to have somehow stumbled onto a subscriber-only article, and I hate to say it, but this shit ain't free.
(Already a member? Log in here.)
See, I write a bunch of big, long, sexy articles for everybody, those are probably some of the articles that you know and love. They are big and beautiful and long and full of funny cat GIFs. But sometimes when I want to diverge into a niche topic or dive deep on a specific problem my readers are having, I write something exclusively for my subscribers. Like this one.
You can read this extra content yourself too. You just have to subscribe. It's easy and takes 60 seconds.
Support the site and get access to the following:
- All the no-bullshit insights and new perspectives I have to offer. You get instant access to all articles on the site, including the 40+ exclusive subscriber-only articles.
- 6 core courses to improve your life:
- Healthy Relationships - Find out why your relationships all fail or succeed in the way they do—and what you can do about it.
- Emotional Mastery - Get a better handle on your emotions and learn how to channel them more productively in your life.
- Resilience - Take on life’s most important challenges and live with tenacity and purpose.
- Finding Purpose - Find a purpose that gives your life meaning and take action on the things most important to you.
- Bonus: Social Connection - Learn how to connect more deeply with the people in your life, one conversation at a time.
- Challenging Beliefs - Dig deep into your beliefs and figure out if they’re helping or hurting you in life.
- Bonus: Overcoming Anxiety - Get down to the root of your anxieties and learn to overcome them, one painful step at a time.
- Build a Better Life - Create an actionable plan to finally live the life you’ve always wanted.
- Bonus: Healthy Dating - Get a solid grasp on the principles that make for a successful dating life and fulfilling relationships.
- 5 Awesome Ebooks, which go in-depth on topics like Self-Knowledge, Relationships, Habits and Happiness are instantly emailed to you after signing up.
- Audio commentaries to my books, in which I talk in depth about my bestselling books like The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck and Everything is F*cked.
- Exclusive events and meet-ups like exclusive post-show meet-ups for members during my book tours.
Subscribing costs less than a cup of coffee in some places. And it’s what allows me to feed myself in between writing amazing shit for you. So please, feed me.