Below you’ll find hours and hours worth of advice on everything from how to make your sentences flow better, to crafting a social media strategy so your content gets shared more often. I’ve spent the last 10 years building my blog and creating a career for myself as a successful writer. And below is most of the advice I’ve come up with.
ARTICLE: Tips and Advice for Starting a Blog
A few years ago, so many people asked me how to start a blog, that I wrote this article. This is the best starting point if you’re completely new to blogging and have no idea what to do.
EBOOK: How to Stand Out in a Crowded Niche
Once you have a blog, it’s time to get clear about your brand and message. How are you going to stand out? What is going to make your writing and content memorable?
This ebook breaks down how I built one of the biggest self-help brands on the internet from scratch. The principles here can be applied to any market and any niche
- Mobi (Kindle)
VIDEO: Viral Victories: How to Win on Social Media
A behind-the-scenes look at my viral success on social media, how I’ve accumulated millions of likes and pageviews and the keys to reproducing those results.
VIDEO: 5 Keys to Becoming a Great Writer
I nerd out here on my biggest passion: writing. Namely, I break down the components of how to become a better writer — everything from tools and software you can use to the best tricks to make your writing sing.
AUDIO: Self-Publishing vs Conventional Publishing
Whether to self-publish your book or go with a traditional publisher is a legitimate and difficult question for the aspiring author. I’ve done both and been successful in each. In this audio, I discuss the differences, the advantages and disadvantages of each, and give some guidance on what you should do.
VIDEO: My Writing Process
A behind-the-scenes look at how I go about writing an article for the site, from brainstorming all the way to the final, finished product that gets published online.
PODCAST: Writers’ Rough Drafts episode with Mark
Some topics discussed in this podcast:
- Mark’s transition from doing e-commerce sales into being a full time writer.
- An in-depth look into Mark’s writing process.
- Examples on how to use blogging effectively to improve and market your business.
- How often do you really need to post to keep your audience engaged?
- Mark’s take on traditional publishing.
PODCAST: Darken the Page episode with Mark
A podcast about writing and the creative process.
We discuss killing your darlings, the quest for status and not giving a fuck.
PODCAST: TropicalMBA podcast about The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
Dan and Ian are old friends of mine and usually do a show about business and entrepreneurship. Here we talk about just the process of writing the book and some of the decision-making I made behind how I decided to go about it.
- Who we believe are some of the pioneers of blogging.
- Why Mark decided to start his first blog.
- What kind of superhero Mark thinks the world needs.
- Why great writing should come before anything else.
- Why Mark chose to work with Harper Collins on his new book.
Get All of the Above and Much More in my Blog Subscription
All of the above is part of the blog subscription.
Besides the Blogging and Writing course, the blog subscription will also get you:
- Online courses and video library. Once upon a time, I had a number of professionally-made online courses for things such as anxiety, social skills and relationships. Subscribers get access to their content, as well as a number of bonus videos I’ve created over the years.
- Unlimited access to articles and all content on the site. You’ll get a bunch of articles in the archive that are for subscribers only. These are niche articles where I dive deep on specific topics or answer readers questions.
- The audio archive with all audios on one page, with both streaming and download links. In the audio archive members can stream all article audios and commentaries in one place. Each audio also has a download link, so that you can listen to them anywhere, in any way you like.
- Access to audio commentary for articles on the site. Learn the inspiration research and funny back stories that went into writing some of the most popular articles on the site.
- Exclusive events and meet-ups in the future. Going forward, I will likely host meet-ups in major cities for subscribers when I’m there. It’ll be a cool chance to meet face-to-face and to meet other like-minded people who enjoy the ideas on the site.
- One day, I will buy a subscriber a taco. I don’t know who it will be, or where, or when, but hey, it could be you!
Signing up takes only 30 seconds.
You can cancel at any time, and I have a 60-day money back guarantee, no questions asked.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if I made a mistake or suddenly decide I hate you and want my money back?
A: You can ask for your money back up to 60-days after the transaction. I’ll send it over, no questions asked, along with the salt of my tears.
Q: When/how can I cancel my payment?
A: You can cancel any time. There is a link in your member profile. Or you can email me and I’ll get it done.
After you cancel, you have access to everything until the end of your paid-for period.
Q: Will you be doing any special events or meet ups for supporters in the future?
A: Yes! I hope to. Periodically, I travel for speaking engagements, readings, or media appearances. When in various major cities, I’d like to shoot emails to supporters in that area and have a little meet up (read: drink-a-thon). So yes, this is definitely something I’d like to do.
Q: What will the money be used for?
A: While the site may appear to be a humble personal blog on the surface, it has become its own beast. Three of us work on it full-time and another person part-time. The hosting bill for 1-2 million monthly readers including things like email servers, cyber security, storage, video hosting and so on, is well into the thousands each month. So yeah, if I want to continue to push the content here into deeper, more insightful places (and I do want to), then I’m going to need some help.